Is 50000 IU of vitamin D safe?

August 18, 2020 Off By idswater

Is 50000 IU of vitamin D safe?

Vitamin D3 therapy (50,000-100,000 IU/week) was safe and effective when given for 12 months to reverse statin intolerance in patients with vitamin D deficiency. Serum vitamin D rarely exceeded 100 ng/mL, never reached toxic levels, and there were no significant change in serum calcium or eGFR.

How much vitamin D can I take in a day?

The recommended daily amount of vitamin D is 400 international units (IU) for children up to age 12 months, 600 IU for people ages 1 to 70 years, and 800 IU for people over 70 years.

How much vitamin D can you take a day without overdosing?

According to the Institute of Medicine, 4000 IU is the safe upper level of daily vitamin D intake. However, doses up to 10,000 IU have not been shown to cause toxicity in healthy individuals ( 10 , 15 ).

How much vitamin D can you take maximum?

Some people may need a higher dose, however, including those with a bone health disorder and those with a condition that interferes with the absorption of vitamin D or calcium, says Dr. Manson. Unless your doctor recommends it, avoid taking more than 4,000 IU per day, which is considered the safe upper limit.

What are the side effects of taking 50000 units of vitamin D?

Some side effects of taking too much vitamin D include weakness, fatigue, sleepiness, headache, loss of appetite, dry mouth, metallic taste, nausea, vomiting, and others.

Why would a doctor prescribed 50 000 units of vitamin D?

For people with a severe vitamin D deficiency confirmed in blood tests, some health care providers are prescribing a mega-dose: 50,000 IU vitamin D taken once a week for six to eight weeks. As we age, we become less physical and more stiff.

What happens when you take too much vitamin D?

Written by Adda Bjarnadottir, MS, LN on June 4, 2017. Vitamin D toxicity is extremely rare, but does occur with extreme doses. It usually develops over time, since extra vitamin D can build up in the body. Nearly all vitamin D overdoses result from taking high amounts of vitamin D supplements.

What to do if you have a vitamin D overdose?

If you find out that you have a vitamin D overdose, it’s recommended that you stop taking your vitamin D supplements as soon as possible. The signs and symptoms of the overdose might take a while to subside because vitamin D is stored in fat and doesn’t leave the system immediately.

Do you need to take a lot of vitamin D?

Although the research is still hazy, some people will benefit from taking vitamin D supplements, along with sufficient calcium intake, to promote their bone health. But they don’t require large amounts of vitamin D to get the benefit.

Is it possible to overdose on vitamins and minerals?

It is possible to overdose on certain vitamins, particularly fat-soluble ones like A, D, E, and K, as well as minerals like iron and zinc, says Lemond. (You can find the tolerable upper intake level—or the very most you should be eating without it causing side effects—on the National Institutes of Health’s Office of Dietary Supplements site.)

Is it possible that we are overdosing on vitamin D?

Yes, you CAN Overdose on Vitamin D, but the risk of too LITTLE is more than your risk of getting too much Vitamin D! Doctors seem to have a fear of recommending ANY amount Vitamin D for fear of causing Vitamin D toxicity. But while Vitamin D Toxicity IS a reality, it is a rare phenomenon to have a Vitamin D toxicity.

How much vitamin D can you overdose?

In adults, a daily dose of 1.0-2.0 mg of vitamin D is toxic when consumed for a prolonged period. A single dose of about 50 mg or greater is toxic for adults. The immediate effect of an overdose of vitamin D is abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting.

Are You taking too much vitamin D?

Watch out for the amount of vitamin D you get and check for any side effects, especially if you are taking supplements. Too much vitamin D is dangerous. It leads to toxicity in the blood, and that can lead to nausea, stomach pain, and bone loss. You need to seek medical advice if you are worried,…

Are some people overdosing on vitamin D?

Too much vitamin D can cause an abnormally high bloodcalcium level, which could result in nausea, constipation, confusion, abnormal heart rhythm, and even kidney stones. It’s nearly impossible to get too much vitamin D from sunlight or from foods (unless you take way too much cod liver oil ). Nearly all vitamin D overdoses come from supplements.