THE WSSCC SECRETARIAT IN GENEVA HOSTED BY THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION (WHO)
The main tasks of the WSSCC secretariat are:
To act as the organizational and knowledge hub for Council activities;
To raise necessary funds for implementation of the IAP and to maintain accountability and transparent management procedures;
To develop and provide tools for advocacy, fund raising and programme development at the regional and national levels;
To organise strategic meetings internationally, regionally and nationally for promotion, advocacy and knowledge dissemination in the sector;
To participate at different global, regional and national meetings/conferences, or arrange for strategic partners or members to attend such gatherings to spread the message of the Council.
To communicate the outcomes from these meetings to the wider membership of the Council.
To be active in various UN forums to influence the outcome of such meetings in relation to the priorities and goals of the sector;
To facilitate, advise and guide the members on the strategic opportunities for promotion of VISION 21 and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) issues.
THE WSSCC STEERING COMMITTEE
The Steering Committee of WSSCC has been elected in September 2004 through a general election among the Council`s members. The Steering Committee fulfils the following roles:
- To decide the policies and strategies of the Collaborative Council
- To ensure the financial viability of the Collaborative Council
- To monitor the performance of the Collaborative Council
- To appoint the Chair and to appoint and oversee the Executive Director
- To manage the governance process
- To represent the interests of the Collaborative Council`s stakeholders
- To be accountable for all the Collaborative Council`s work
- To set rules for its own meetings
THE REGIONAL & NATIONAL COORDINATORS
National and regional co-ordinators will serve as a bridge between WSSCC and its members in a particular region and/or country and as a means for extending the Council`s contacts with people. Amongst other activities, they will lead and coordinate the Council member`s work in both advocacy and monitoring, and facilitate information exchange between members, coordinators and the Global Secretariat.
- Implementing the Council`s goals: roles and responsibilities of coordinators and Secretariat
- Overall objectives for WSSCC at global level in next 12 months
- Links between Vision 21 – Iguaçu Action Programme – WASH campaign
- Defining Advocacy within the WASH campaign
- Synthesis of national coordinators, regional coordinators action plan activities